Sunday, October 20, 2013

Unlicensed Cheap Chinese Radios Can Cause Trouble

I found a really good posting from David Coursey, N5FDL's blog...here is a teaser...

"Got a call the other day from a local man who said he’d paid something in the $80 range to purchase a pair of radios from Amazon. “I bought them to use when I go out hunting,” he told me.
You may already see where this is headed. He’s purchased two “Cheap Chinese” talkies in hopes of using them for emergency backup and routine communications while hunting in the Sierras. He wanted to know if, perhaps, he needed a license and what would happen if he used them without a license.
“Do it often enough and we will find you,” I hold him. “After that, we will turn you in to the FCC. You can expect a letter from a Mrs. Smith and if you don’t comply, the fine is $10,000. You should probably send the radios back before they get you into trouble.”
I went on the explain that a license wasn't hard to get, but everyone who would use the radios would need one."

Check out the full article at the following link:


No comments:

Post a Comment